This hot and steamy weather has me craving cold, fresh and light foods just like the salads prepared by Little Eater. I was thrilled when chef and veggie specialist Cara Mangini opened her salad pop-up shop, Little Eatery, at the Hills Market Downtown a few weeks ago. Mangini will be serving up her salad spread 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays.
This is one of her favorite times of year, she confessed. It’s that great in-between time—early summer fruit and vegetable holdouts are mixing with the next batch of summer crops. Mangini says she had to hold herself back from offering too much on the menu this week. And when asked for a few recommendations, she couldn’t help saying great things about all the day’s dishes.
A quick look at what she’s offering today:
- Roasted Local Beets, Fennel and Hazelnuts with Orange Vinaigrette (one of the scoops I went with—loved the brightness of the mint)
- Ohio Sweet Corn and Black Bean Succotash
- Wayward Cabbage and Kohlrabi Peanut Slaw with Lime Ginger Dressing
- Organic Kale and Toasted Walnuts with Shagbark Spelt Berries
- Frittata with Swiss Chard, Sweet Corn and Leeks
- Crostini with Roasted Cauliflower Hummus, Cucumbers and Tomatoes (This was a personal favorite. The roasted cauliflower is rich and garlicky, and the cucumber is perfect on days like today)
- And of course Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits with Honey Butter
Can’t make it Downtown today? You can also get Little Eater delivered to your door through Green Bean Delivery. Or you can always get her packaged salads to go at both Hills locations, the Clintonville Community Market and the Greener Grocer at the North Market.